Frequently Asked Questions

We have put together some of the most common questions we get asked to help give you more information about CARTS Removals and Storage Insurance and the cover that is offered.

If you have any questions that have not been answered here, please get in contact with us.

Even with the most professional and experienced removalists, accidents can happen. So, if you are planning a move, it is recommended you do consider HOME REMOVALS INSURANCE. Even if you have HOME AND CONTENTS INSURANCE you may not be covered to the same extent or, you may not be covered at all.

Just like any other type of insurance, Home Removal Insurance means you are insuring against the risk of an unforeseen event occurring during your relocation that can have an impact on your household contents and personal belongings.

There is a common misconception when moving to a new house that the removalist is responsible for the loss or damage of goods that occurs during the moving process, but this isn't always the case and can be very difficult to prove.

Our CARTS policy allows you to notify us of damage to your contents up to 30 days from the date of delivery at your new premises. The 30 days applies whether your contents have been delivered from your old premises straight to your new premises or delivered to your new premises following a period of nominated storage for which you have paid an additional premium.

This allows you time unpack and to discover any damage not immediately noticeable. Boxes showing any signs of damage or staining should be unpacked immediately.


NTI stay actively involved in the repair of damaged items first and foremost, but will settle on the new replacement cost where there is no other option but to replace an item/s with the same or similar make and model to what you had previously.

For example, a five year old fridge is visibly damaged (beyond repair) whilst being unloaded from the removalist truck. The original purchase price 5 years ago was $1,000. Understandably, the removalist may only offer a contribution of anywhere between $1-1,500 depending on its prior condition. Subject to any excess, a CARTS policy would offer a replacement value (if the item not could be repaired) with the closest equivalent new fridge'.

Our policy provides temporary accommodation for you and your family up to $250 per day and for a maximum of 30 days, if your contents have not been delivered due to loss or damage covered by your policy. Even though these costs are for accommodation only, such costs can go a long way towards affording other would be essentials such as a TV, table and chairs etc, during a disruptive period.

A removalist takes care and uses precautionary measures to ensure that your contents arrive safely but if your contents have to sit in their truck overnight or in storage for a long period of time, things can happen that are out of the removalists control.

If you can recall the type of goods you were moving through an inventory list prior to the move, we can assist with such unexplained losses occurring. We can provide you with an Inventory Checklist or ask your removalist who should be able help you arrange this.

By taking a CARTS policy your claim would be handled by NTI. NTI will assess & manage your claim, arrange repair or replacement of the damaged contents where necessary and ensure your claim is handled appropriately.

Home and Contents Insurance varies across the board and it is not always the case that your policy will cover damages that occur to your household contents and belongings during relocation. Some insurers may offer optional extras to cover you for transit or storage, but it may not be sufficient. It is best that you review your policy details or contact your insurer to see if you are covered.

Removalists through their insurers only really need to offer up an indemnity value (or a wear & tear based item value) where customers household effects are damaged or lost. If a Removalist is not directly at fault for the Damage or Loss to customers goods, then a customers claim for compensation can be very low or not offered up at all.

This is why it can be important for customers to take out removals Insurance for themselves for their Household Effects and not rely on the removalist.

Damages like:

  • a customers heirloom dining table being dropped- removalist slips in a driveway on a rainy day
  • a cracked LCD TV screen- insufficient packaging, roping in the truck-but no truck accident proven
  • a lost bicycle (whilst being unloaded and left on the nature strip)
  • a Removalist truck being rear ended on major highway - not the removalist fault etc.

The inventory list requires each box to be numbered with the list of items in each box to identify the goods in the event of theft or loss eg. 6 Saucepans, 12 piece dinner set.

Payment needs to be made at least a day before the move if cover needs to be arranged on the day of the move you will need to contact our office.

You need to contact our office prior to the expiry date on the policy to organise an extension.

If the goods are being delivered to a storage facility with no storage cover taken out with CARTS, you must be at the storage facility at the time of the drop off and inspect ALL goods and lodge a claim with our office THAT day for any damages. You must also advise the removalist of any damages at the time of your removalist unloading your contents into the storage facility.

If you have comprehensive car insurance, we kindly ask that you contact your insurer to check if they cover your car for transit under your policy.

Artwork and antiques are insured for their value as per independent antique or artwork dealer valuation. You will need to provide proof of value for such items in the event of a claim.

Please contact our office via email once the goods have arrived at the final destination to cancel the policy.

You will need to contact our office and provide the addresses and the value of goods being picked up from each location.

This cover is only for the contents being damaged or lost by the removalist.

Need more information?

Prior to making a decision about whether CARTS Home Removals Insurance is right for you, please read the Policy Wording.

For any further enquiries, please get in touch with our friendly team of brokers who are licenced to provide you with personalised advice.


Coverforce Complete Insurance Brokers Pty Ltd

Phone: 1300 880 253
Fax: +61 (03) 9887 2361

Postal Address:
PO Box 231, Ringwood, VIC 3134

Facebook Logo

Insurance products are provided by National Transport Insurance, a joint venture of the insurers Insurance Australia Limited trading as CGU Insurance ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 and AAI Limited trading as Vero Insurance ABN 48 005 297 807 AFSL 230859 each holding a 50% share. National Transport Insurance is administered on behalf of the insurers by its manager NTI Limited ABN 84 000 746 109 AFSL 237246.

Copyright © 2020 Coverforce Partners Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.